![]() |
| Photo by J Stephen Conn |
I have a friend who says that Point Roberts is for people in
the “witness protection” program. She may be right. Because in every sense of
the word it’s off the grid of normal, urban want and expectation. A tiny nose on the map, just south of the 49th
parallel, it’s easy to hide out there because no one’s watching.
![]() |
| Mount Baker to the east |
If you’re American it’s difficult to get to because it’s
cut off from the mainland. Unless you
travel by boat, you have to cross through two borders. If you’re Canadian, you can’t live there for
more than 6 months and, for those acclimatized to overstimulation, there’s not all
that much to do. No more than the size
of Stanley Park, it’s dominated by trees and light and bounded by the border to
the north and the sea to the east, west and south. It’s kind of like living in a large, gated
community. These are all the reasons why
I love it.
Point Roberts dwells in another time. In another dimension. It’s surrounded by
beaches and grass and it’s predominantly woodsy and rural. The sun shines there when it’s raining in North
Vancouver. You can buy over an acre of waterfront with a view of Mount Baker for way less than a mil. Hell!!!…. you
can buy a wooded lot there, that perks, for $25,000.00!!
![]() |
| Lily Point |
There’s only one grocery store and the top selling items are
cheese, chips, pop, beer and wine. There
are four restaurants and the service is lousy.
The one remaining bar… albeit seedy, (the scene there changed decades ago
when Vancouver licensed liquor sales on Sunday), poised by the waters edge,
with a view worth buying a beer for, is benign and non-descript. No more Sunday strippers. No more pull tabs. No more dated rock and roll.
The “downtown” core is dominated by gas
stations and mail boxes. The only
thriving businesses are thanks to gas prices in Canada and to Ebay and
Amazon.com. The community newspaper is
not threatened by the internet. The tiny
library… for reasons I mentioned in an earlier posting… is the best in the world. People still read there. One quaint little church, though marked Lutheran,
is mostly multi-denominational. The
annual garden tour is abit cheesy. There’s
no mall. No theatre. No traffic lights. No traffic!
Hallelujah! Cell service is
iffy. For all of these attributes, it’s
the best kept secret in the Pacific Northwest. And it’s only 50 minutes due south from my
front door.
It’s here that my ex-partner and I shared a modest, little house
on the beach. For 22 years we watched
the sunset and BC ferries tenaciously ply the Juan de Fuca strait. The kids, however… mine and his…. never bonded
with it. Not enough to buy. Not enough to do. Too sleepy.
Too quiet. Too boring!!!! Two years ago we stripped the lot and began
building our dream house. A project I
thought he wanted. A project I thought
would take us into old age. A project I
thought would bring all the urban family ADD’s together.
I’m reclaiming Point Roberts, the place, the community... on my
own terms. I'm putting the past behind me and I’ve decided to feel safe
there. I cross the border and I’m
enveloped by nature and familiarity and simplicity and community and friends
and a time gone by. I’m going to build
my own house there. A tiny one. In the woods, but close enough to the sea so
I can smell it. And, big enough for me
and my kick-ass friends to create new memories… with love and spirit and soul. For me, God
lives there.



Thank you for writing how you feel and for voicing your strength.
ReplyDeleteHi Cynth, Thanks for your kind words and support. I still have the phoenix rising tattoo that you designed for me. I'm thinking of having it done. I'm just not sure if women age 61 get tattoos? If I do it, it will be at a time when I feel beyond all this... mucky stuff.... and I'll pay you for the design. I love it. XO
DeleteGreat writing Julie; I love your articulation. You can feel the love of PR through your words...and the pix are terrific....
ReplyDelete