A necessary prescription for kick-ass (k-a) healing?
| Point Roberts, WA |
| Available at most grocery stores |
A double dose of sisters (I have two); India; Nature; A good counsellor… who lives close to... nature... and to angels (mine does!); My inner child; Friends…. the ones who aren’t afraid to tell me the butt-naked truth… and then tell me again because I have to learn most things twice! A tall glass of wine… prn; Nature; Barbara's Cheez Puffs (the best!), A fair settlement agreement; Klondike Solitaire; Point Roberts; Trashy magazines (whatever this is to you? For me It's "Hello" and "People!" Yikes!!!! That's the most difficult confession than anything else I've written so far! ) Nature, Vietnam (with my sister), Giggles…lots.... prn, A few good men… especially my son and the sons of others (you know who you are!) and ... One tiny house…. in nature! (More about tiny houses later!)
I was in Rajasthan, India when the main man in my
story descended into adolescence and called us off. Again!
Love, loyalty, longevity... pushed aside. No going back this time. No talking it through. No recourse.
No reconciliation. No crisis.
I’ll never know what the limits are on trip cancellation insurance. I’ll never know if it covers marital departure. There was shock. No awe. But, no going back. No doubt. I never doubted the healing capacity of India. Atleast the clarity of intent, if not action, was
liberating.
Elizabeth Gilbert knows that India is a good place to
heal. India’s also a good place to get
hit over the head with a good dose of reality.
Because… India has the unique characteristic of cradling and holding… of
sustaining grief. So does my
sister. She was with me in Rajasthan. Healing my heart began with India… and with my
sister.
Suffice it to say that like Lidia, my sister graduated to
the “50 something” club for loss and grieving at a very young age. Her first husband commit suicide as a result
of PTSD, albeit after they had already separated. But, in her mid 20’s, she was already on the front
lines of his descension into
disequilibrium. It‘s
not fair to lose two husbands to death in one lifetime. But, as the cliché goes…no one said life
would be fair. She came with experience.
My relationship with my sister has been hard won. Typical for siblings… especially
so close in age… we did not always get along.
But the want for intimacy was there.
Like all intimate relationships, we worked at love with the same
ingredients my main man rejected. Loyalty, desire, determination, tenacity… and a
willingness to learn how to listen. When
we left YVR for India in a flurry of excited expectation neither my sister nor
I had any idea that the trip would become one big test… of love. Love for India. Love for each other. Love for ourselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment