....Lidia, Yuknavitch, that is.....
I’ll get back to my own story about surfacing from loss and
grief soon. And… I promise I’ll get to the kick-ass
part. But, I’m feeling a little self-conscious
that, so far, this blog is all about me.
Combined with previous FaceBook postings, I don’t want to bore friends and
readers or potential blog followers with the assumption that my emotional shit show
is all I want to talk about. It’s
not! My intent at this new beginning is
to set a context for what got me to writing about all of this in the first
place and why I think my 60+ voice might be important.
It’s also my intent to introduce and talk about other
kick-ass girls who support me, inspire me, move me to breathe…. deeper, longer,
more. Women from my own life. But, since I read…alot.... especially
memoirs about girls, I thought I’d interrupt the story line from time to time
to talk about some books I love and the kick-ass writers who wrote them.
I’ve already made two previous references to popular books
by Cheryl Strayed, Wild and Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love. Masters of kick-ass, for sure. But I also enjoy reading… in fact, I prefer reading….
memoirs that aren’t made into movies. Most of which I get from the only library in Point Roberts, WA. And... my favorite library in my world! (Thanks Kris and Rose, and
others whose names I don’t know, for separating out the
memoirs and biographies from the rest of the stacks. For one who
suffers from over stimulation at the best of times, I appreciate the size and
scale of this tiny, comforting space... and the friendly people in it.)
In this post, I want to talk about my favorite memoir, A
Chronology of Water, written by my queen of kick-ass girls… and the bravest writer I know…. Lidia
Yuknavitch. Now, I don’t know how old
Lidia is.... but she has surely experienced excrutiating loss… of herself… and... OMG!.... of
her tiny still born daughter. She graduated to the 50+ class for loss and grieving early in her life. Her gift as a
writer to get raw and personal…. who opens the wound and bleeds.... who makes words her own.... who doesn’t write in complete sentences... rocks me to my core. No one writes
about loss and grief the way Lidia does. No one writes about love and sex... the way Lidia does. You can
find her on Face Book. But... you can't friend her because she's topped out!
She has a new book out, this past July. I haven’t read it yet. But, I will.



No comments:
Post a Comment